Making a Difference is Our Practice. Call Today:
Most possession charges in Pennsylvania are ungraded misdemeanors. Penalties for drug possession charges depend on what type of drug and how much is possessed.
- For 30 grams or less, penalties include up to 30 days in jail, and a fine of $500.
- For possession of more than 30 grams, the penalties go up to 1 year in jail and $5000 in fines.
- Automatic six month loss of license.
- Up to one year in prison, and/or a $5,000 fine first (1st) offense
- Up to three years in prison for subsequent offenses
- Possession of more than five grams of crack (cocaine) may be subject to a minimum penalty of 5 years in prison.
Drug possession cases are most often defended on the basis or illegal government action. Because drug possession is a victimless crime the cases rest heavily upon police investigation and the legality of arrests. Quite frequently the police act before they have probable cause and any evidence they seize can be suppressed.
However, as with most criminal charges, the best defense can only be arrived at after careful consideration of all the details of the case with your attorney.
As a criminal defense law firm, We work diligently to find evidence that will support our client's innocence and establish a reasonable doubt that they are guilty of drug charges. As your defense attorney, we meticulously review police reports and eyewitness statements. We conduct own witness interviews and track down information that can help in obtaining a favorable outcome.
To schedule a free and confidential consultation with a criminal defense attorney regarding your criminal drug charges, contact our office today.
Madsen Law Offices is located in Easton, Pennsylvania and represents clients throughout the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg and other outlying areas.